Saturday, January 23, 2010

What's the haps on the craps


Hello fellow travelers and world weary warriors. I was very perturbed all day by a single thought, as is my compulsive nature. Point Break is a movie about an FBI agent (Keanu Reaves) whom infiltrates a bank robbing crime ring lead by Surfer God (Patrick Swayze). The movie dabbles in a little moral ambiguity, but there was this very simple scene that haunts me to this day. Keanu and Patrick are sitting around a bonfire, shootin the breeze, when Keanu mentions karma. Patrick Swayze looks over at him and says, "This was never about money for us. It was about us against the system. That system that kills the human spirit. We stand for something. To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins, we show them that the human spirit is still alive."

Those words really shook me to the core. I was only 13 when I saw that movie, but I remember that scene so vividly, and vowed to not be a dead soul inching along the freeway. Well, fast forward 18 years, and what's happened? Yeah, afraid so. But I want to feel those lines, live those lines. I can't ever shake the feeling that I was destined to do something more meaningful than be a desk jockey. I want to open my heart out to the world and show the human spirit is still alive.

I don't know where things are headed. I asked the magic 8 ball, and it told me to ask again later. (Like its got something better to do, than to reveal to me its divine powers!) I've just got to shake off these empty feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment